[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Change order of clipboard

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Mon Jan 6 08:00:49 EST 2014

2013/12/10 Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Ignacio Rodríguez <nachoel01 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I make a patch for SL #3606

The reporter does not argue why this should be changed, but tells his
own opinion.

>>> In the clipboard, new clippings should be added on top of the previous
>>> ones
>>>
>>> Currently, new clippings are added to the bottom of the clipboard, which
>>> I think is unnatural. The behavior should be that of the original mockup,
>>> treating clippings more like real objects which stack on top of each other:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Frame-01.jpeg.
>>

>> Patch attached
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Ignacio Rodríguez
>

> The original design had the clipboard at the top-left of the Frame,
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/The_Frame#The_Frame
>
> arranged temporally in a push-down stack,
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/The_Frame#Objects
>
> At some point the designers decided to invert the placement at the
> bottom-left of the Frame, and building a push-up stack, so that the next
> item pushed in or popped out of the stack was from a fixed location (now the
> lowest item).  This is like storage systems that dispense items at one
> location by gravity.

Yes.I don't see a strong difference between "top alignment, push-down
stack" and "bottom alignment, push-up stack".

And this is very much widespread to change it without a good reason.

HIG is old and doesn't reflect current implementation.  By the way it
contains valuable information and concepts.

- sugar clipboard extends traditional clipboard with clipboard history
and previews
- sugar clipboard serves as a temporary storage for sugar objects: a
paper, an image, a sentence, a URL
- any type of object that can be stored in the Journal can likewise be
transported via the clipboard
- a child may place an object in the clipboard with keyboard shortcuts
or drag and drop

 I don't know if this is fully implemented.  So the clipboard may need
love, yes.

--
.. manuq ..