[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Journal social network style design

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 03:33:19 EST 2014

Hi,

I've been working on a journal design candidate that makes it look like a
social network. Gits:
https://github.com/SAMdroid-apps/sugar/tree/journal+WIP and
https://github.com/SAMdroid-apps/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/tree/journal+WIP It is
probably easier to explain through pictures:

[image: Inline image 1]
And another picture, but sorry about the pop up :([image: Inline image 2]

*API Additions*

In this patch there are some api additions. Firstly, a new field in was
added in the activity info file. This is the 'action_text' field, which
sets the text before of the activity name (eg browsed, Did a...).
Secondly for the child entries (eg photos below record) implement 2 new
apis. There is the field for data store entries, 'is_child', which
determines if an entry is displayed in the journal. This is used in
conjunction with the add_child method in the(sugar3) activity class. This
accepts the child's uid and attaches it to the activity. This is usually
called after the child has been saved to the data store.

*Topics for further discussion*

In this change there is a who filter in the journal. It does nothing, since
there is no implementation in the back end. I think we first need to
discuss exactly what options we want to present users with. Should they be
able to choose individuals or just groups? If individuals, what interface
should be made; list, map...?

Thank you, SAMdroid :)