[Sugar-devel] Fwd: French keyboard map for XO-4 non-membrane keyboard

Lionel Laské lionel at olpc-france.org
Sat Dec 20 15:51:43 EST 2014

> You might be able to hack something up with xmodmap, if you only need
> to swap a few keys around.  There are many examples of xmodmap on the
> internet.  xmodmap may be suitable for a temporary solution on a small
> group of laptops.  google "french english xmodmap".

Thanks for your advice.
I've done some hack with xmodmap, you're right, it's easy to create a
.xmodmap file to map French keyboard.
Something like:

keycode a = q Q
keycode z = w W
keycode q = a A
keycode w = z Z

When I launch "xmodmap french.xmodmap" from the terminal, it map correctly
the new keyboard.
I'm trying now to force this new mapping at startup.
Following [1], I've tried to update the /etc/X11/Xmodmap and add the call
to xmodmap in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc but without success.

Any idea where I can add the call to be sure it will be call at Sugar
startup ?

                Lionel.

[1] http://cweiske.de/howto/xmodmap/ar01s06.html