[Sugar-devel] Fwd: French keyboard map for XO-4 non-membrane keyboard

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Dec 18 15:18:03 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 01:25:08PM +0100, Lionel Laské wrote:
> Thanks James for your answer.
> No we don't plan to order new XO-4 units thought if we could it will be a
> pleasure !

Okay.  The engineering work for mapping a new French XO mechanical
keyboard would be added to such an order.

> So, it mean that there no way to create a keyboard layout and put it
> in the firmware.

Firmware is not the part of your problem.  This is a Linux problem.

> BTW do you know if there is a way to change key mapping from Linux ?

Apart from what I've already mentioned, I don't know.  The information
on the Wiki, and the link to the freedesktop.org Wiki, looks like it
should help, and if I was doing the engineering work it is where I
would start.

For Fedora 18, it may be enough.  For Fedora 20, keyboard mapping is
also handled by systemd using a hardware database.

> I guessed that something is possible using setxbmap but I'm not
> familiar with that.

No, I do not think setxkbmap would help.  You need a keymap first.
setxkbmap won't work without one.

You might be able to hack something up with xmodmap, if you only need
to swap a few keys around.  There are many examples of xmodmap on the
internet.  xmodmap may be suitable for a temporary solution on a small
group of laptops.  google "french english xmodmap".

> Is anyone have experience with that ?

Good question for everybody else.  Or you can engage with the Linux
community for your chosen distribution; probably Fedora.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/