[Sugar-devel] Parental controls (UPDATE)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:34:25 EDT 2014

As a parent of three, and concerned about Internet dreck, I have found that
parental control solutions at machine level fail because when kids are
motivated enough, they will crack whatever technical solution is in place
and moreover, will compare notes with all their fellow rebels. What has
worked in our family is restricting physical access to machines (e.g. when
kids should be out getting air on a sunny day) and being in the same room
with them, to keep an eye on what they are doing (our current rule is must
be 18 to have PC or Mac in bedroom).

My teenage son has presented the greatest challenge, cracking any parental
control system in place, Mac or PC. We have caught him trying to film his
keyboard with a concealed phone while I logged in to an admin account,
creating a hidden admin account with full rights, possibly using a 40-foot
Ethernet cable to bypass wifi at the access point, and using visiting
friend's smartphones as an internet gateway. Back when his computer was in
his room, my wife thought removing the keyboard was a good idea until we
found 2 spare keyboards in his closet. For now we (tediously) apply MAC
filtering at wifi access point level on school days and limit time to 90
minutes per day.

Filtering inappropriate adult content at home is a real issue. My son who
is 9 has been exposed to awful crud on YouTube. I don't think any parental
control software would have helped there.

Sean.