[Sugar-devel] Parental controls (UPDATE)

Ryan Cunningham rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:54:15 EDT 2014

The releases with this feature would at least include Sugar 0.104 onward.

What inspired me to create this feature is that Mac OS X has a similar feature. (This feature, other than that inspiration, has nothing to do with OS X.)

In creating this feature, I am considering that the user would be a child using an XO or Sugar on a Stick at home and not as part of a deployment. Deployments are free to use or remove this feature at their own will; this feature just makes it easier for deployments and parents to control their users', child's, or children's behavior such that the parent or deployment planner won't need to have any Python programming skills.

The controls can be enabled if, for example, a child visits (or at least is seen visiting) a site containing and/or dedicated to pornography (as some Nigerian children did, a couple years ago), or a child uses an activity for libelous or threatening reasons or other harmful reasons.

As a side note, you could as well add a feature with which a deployment or parent can disable 'getty' on non-X11 virtual terminals (but first check if the client's operating system is Linux-based).

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Sent from my iPad