[Sugar-devel] Moving more modules to github

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 07:18:36 EDT 2014

Hello,

I think we should move more of our modules to github, at least all the ones
we are currently building in sugar-build.

That will make it easier for contributors because they won't have to go
through two different processes to submit patches. Also gitorious lacks pr
notifications which is really bad.

Finally, it would make it easier to detect changes to the modules in
buildbot without having to poll, which is giving issues to our server (you
could probably do the same on gitorious, but I'm not really looking forward
to write and maintain that for two different services). I'm also planning
to add support for triggering builds on pr submission, so that broken ones
can be marked as such in the UI, and it would be good for all the modules
to benefit from this.

So here are the modules I would like to move

sugar
sugar-toolkit
browse
write
chat
read
log
terminal
pippy
imageviewer
jukebox
turtleart

What needs to be done

1 Get permission from module maintainers. If you are reading this please
confirm you are fine with this.
2 Mirror the modules on github. I can take care of that.
3 Update sugar-build. I can take care of that.
4 Update pootle. Gonzalo, did you volunteer? :)
5 Setup a redirect from git.sugarlabs.org to github.com. Anyone knows
who/how did it for the core modules?

--
Daniel Narvaez