[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] age by year instead of by groups of years

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:09:53 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> The vertical slider is best of what you show, because of the visual
> distribution of the objects.
>
> In pre-lingual ages, it may be taken to be height, but they can change
> it later.
>
> I agree with scaling the gender icons.
>
> The grade would seem to be more relevant than age.  The kids identify
> more with their grade than their age.
>
> Other thoughts:
>
> I think the slider should be calibrated in months, with the units
> displayed in years, and the value stored as months, with an effective
> date.
>
> Take note of a High Court decision day before yesterday which has
> bearing on this screen; the state must allow individuals to identify with
> a non-specific gender.  To implement that, allow the gender icons to
> be deselected.  You might wait for the users to request this before
> starting development.
>
> https://theconversation.com/why-norries-court-victory-is-a-leap-forward-for-everyone-25200
>

> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Thanks for the feedback and the info re gender. I've made it possible
to leave gender unspecified but I guess I need a mechanism to return
to the unspecified state if gender is set. (I'm in the midst of an
argument about this very issue with some friends of ours from ... who
asked me to force our users to specify one of two choices for gender.
I've held my ground.)

-walter

--
Walter Bender