[Sugar-devel] Comments in code [ Gonzalo Odiard ]

Kamal Kaur kamal.kaur188 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:25:53 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> The comment is old, very old, (you can learn to use "git blame"
> to get the changes in context. I assume the programmer
> wanted a method to update a dict based in the content of another.

Yes, I have heard of git blame, will use it now.

<snip>
> True, not much documentation in the code.
> We don't use comments in every function or method,
> and the code should be easy to read,

May be I'm wrong but with comments and descriptions, I think, it
becomes easy to understand the working for newbies.

Assuming that the person reading the code knows nothing about what
it's supposed to do. Comments then can explain every step of the way.
Sorry to say but I think well commented functions will make the code
easy to read. Correct me if I am wrong.

but honestly
> Develop was unmaintained for a long time, I started a few months ago
> to put it in shape to be used again.

Yes, I know and that's what we are here for :) Sugar is our baby and
we are nourishing it :D

> Sorry, I can't help you much more.

No worries :)

If you are stuck with this task,
> maybe can look at other easier bugs
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Develop#Pending_tasks

Thanks for the useful link. But now that I have shared my problem and
have spent a couple of days with it. I think, I should not let go that
efforts in vain before getting the output. Otherwise it can make me
feel depressed ;)

And it's a problem with understanding only. Everything is there, I'm
trying again with some other approach :)

Thanks for being there and for that precious reply :)

--
Kamaljeet Kaur
kamalkaur188.wordpress.com

"I am not what I am compared to others, I am what I am compared to my
yesterday."