[Sugar-devel] Comments in code [ Gonzalo Odiard ]

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Wed Apr 2 08:11:31 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM, Kamal Kaur <kamal.kaur188 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have found that the functions that show content and objects in the
> develop activity are in
> sugar-build/activities/develop-activity/develop_app.py and
> sugar-build/activities/develop-activity/sourceview_editor.py files
>
> In def save_source_jobject function in develop_app.py, there is a comment:
>
> # dict.update method is missing =(
>
> What is this comment referring to? And what is the dictionary update
> method supposed to do? Can someone please help? I need to update the
> icon on altering the .svg file and feeling lack of proper comments
> there in the code.

The comment is old, very old, (you can learn to use "git blame"
to get the changes in context. I assume the programmer
wanted a method to update a dict based in the content of another.

> Or please point me to some documentation where there each function
> will be defined. How can I get what is done where? Even there are
> functions that don't have a single comment. The coding standard tell
> to add description in quotes that make the documentation using some
> software. About each and every function comments should be there.
> Please help, I'm stuck.

True, not much documentation in the code.
We don't use comments in every function or method,
and the code should be easy to read, but honestly
Develop was unmaintained for a long time, I started a few months ago
to put it in shape to be used again.

Sorry, I can't help you much more. If you are stuck with this task,
maybe can look at other easier bugs

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Develop#Pending_tasks

Gonzalo

> --
> Kamaljeet Kaur
> kamalkaur188.wordpress.com
>
> "I am not what I am compared to others, I am what I am compared to my
> yesterday."

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Learning Software for children