[Sugar-devel] Are we ready for code freeze?

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 15:00:02 EDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 20:52, Jerry Vonau <jerry at laptop.org.au> wrote:

> On 2 September 2013 13:38, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To be clear, are you saying we should code freeze tomorrow? I couldn't
>> find a definition of the freeze in the wiki but the GNOME one seems
>> accurate.
>>
>> Hard Code Freeze
>>
>> This is a late freeze to avoids sudden last-minute accidents which could
>> risk the stability that should have been reached at this point. No source
>> code changes are allowed without two approvals from the release team, but
>> translation and documentation should continue. Simple build fixes are, of
>> course, allowed without asking.
>>

> Maybe that freeze should be split into 2 parts, "Hard Code Freeze" on the
> GUI part that the end-user sees(strings that are translated) might happen
> now to allow time for the translations to occur before final release.

This sounds like feature freeze, which we have done with 0.99.1.

> Some time later a pre-release freeze on all the code to allow time for
> bugs to be found and fixed before going final.

And this sounds like the various other freezes we have done with 0.99.2.

Hard code freeze is a lot more strict, as the name implies code should
change only if really really necessary. Frequent crashers, completely
broken functionality etc.