[Sugar-devel] How to setup an environment to develop activities

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Oct 29 10:13:01 EDT 2013

HI, Sai

Sugar activities are written in Python. Ubuntu 12.04 is a good
development environment for Python.
The BlockParty activity (http://activities.sugarlabs.org) illustrates
using the __main__ feature of Python to
create an activity which will run as an independent Python program or as
a class which inherits from activity.py.

This approach enables you to focus on the functionality of the activity.
I think you will find in most cases that meeting
the special requirements of Sugar integration will be straightforward.

I believe a Sugar Activity developer should have an XO to make sure the
activity runs correctly in the target environment.
Emulation is difficult because of the special characteristics of the XO
screen.

The XO (and Sugar) environment is undergoing a transition driven by a
need to be downstream from supported software
and adapting to the XO-4 touchscreen. So, integration with Sugar may
have to done twice.

James Simmons book, 'Make Your Own Sugar Activities' is an excellent
resource: https://flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/.

Tony