[Sugar-devel] Private vs Public conversations.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Wed Oct 23 12:04:58 EDT 2013

I just wanted to bump this line of questions as, it is the critical
set of questions which will determine the future viability of Sugar.

If anyone as more informed, please correct me if I am sharing
incorrect information:
1. The Association has dropped future development of XO laptops and
Sugar as part of their long term strategy. I base this on the
reduction of hardware and software personal employed by the
Association.
2. The Association is reducing its roll within the engineering and
development side of the ecosystem. I base this on the shift toward
integrating existing technology, software, and content from other
vendors on the XO tablet.
3. The Association is shifting away from its initial roll as a
technical philanthropy to a revenue generating organization structured
as a association. I base this on the general shift in conversations
and decisions from public to private channels.

Given financial constraints, these are reasonable shifts. While
painful, the world is better of with a leaner (and meaner) OLPC
Association which lives to fight another day. The challenge moving
forward is how to develop and maintain the Sugar platform, the
universe of activities, and the supporting distributions given the
reduction in patronage from the OLPC Association.

I, and AC, would be happy to work more closely with Sugar Labs if
there are ways to establish publicly disclosed and mutually beneficial
relationships. In the meantime we are happy to provide deployments
support while seeding and supporting projects we feel are beneficial
to deployments such as School Server Community Edition and Sugar on
Ubuntu.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 6:11 AM, David Farning
<dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> but I am not sure if will help. The changes will take more time to go to the
>> users?
>> If a deployment miss a update, will need wait a entire year?
>> * Someone can work in a LTS Sugar. That should be good if they can push
>> the fixes they work upstream while they are working in their own project.
>
> If someone, individuals or a third party, were willing and able to
> provide LTS support for a version of Sugar, how would you recommend
> they go about doing it?
>
> With the recent changes to the ecosystem, I am unclear about the
> current structure, culture, and politics of Sugar Labs. My concern is
> that in that past several years a number of organization who have
> participated in Sugar development have left or reduced their
> participation. When asking them why they left, the most common
> response is that that they didn't feel they were able to establish or
> sustain mutually beneficial relationships within the ecosystem.
>
> Would you be interesting in looking at cultural, political, and
> procedural traits which have enabled other free and opensource
> projects to foster thriving ecosystems? Are these traits present in
> Sugar Labs?
>
> While, I understand it is frustrating for an upstream software
> developer. A primary tenet of free and open sources software is that
> then anyone can use and distribute the software as they see fit.... as
> long as the source code is made available. The challenge for an
> upstream is to create an environment where it is more beneficial for
> individuals and organizations to work together than it is to work
> independently.
>
> To make things more concrete, three areas of concern are Control, Credit, Money:
> -- Control -- Are there mechanism for publicly making and
> communicating project direction in a productive manner? Is
> disagreement accepted and encouraged?
>
> -- Credit -- Are there mechanism for publicly acknowledging who
> participates and adds value to the ecosystem? Is credit shared freely
> and fairly?
>
> -- Money -- Are there mechanisms in place for publicly acknowledge
> that money pays a role in the ecosystem? Is Sugar Labs able to
> maintain a neutral base around which people and organizations can
> collaborate?
>
> From my limited experience, I don't believe there is an single holy
> grail type answer to any of these questions. Instead, the answers tend
> to evolve as situations change and participants come and go.
>
>> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM, David Farning
>> <dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For phase one this openness in communication, I would like to open the
>>> discussion to strategies for working together. My interest is how to
>>> deal with the notion of overlapping yet non-identical goals.
>>>
>>> As a case study, let's look at deployment and developer preferences
>>> for stability and innovation.
>>>
>>> The roll out pipeline for a deployment can be long:
>>> 2. Core validation..
>>> 3. Activity development.
>>> 4. Activity validation.
>>> 5. Update documentation.