[Sugar-devel] Updating and releasing translations in legacy Sugar 0.94

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sun Oct 20 03:51:50 EDT 2013

Hi!

I'm writing to you because you are currently listed as author of one of
the following Sugar Activities:

Browse
Chart
Implode
Jukebox
Paint
Read
Terminal
Write

All of these have gotten translated into Aymara and Quechua, native
languages spoken by hundreds of thousands of people in Peru, whose
children got XO laptops.

Now what these activities have in common is that they have moved on to
Gtk3 and thus translations from pootle don't get released into Gtk2
compatible versions, that are compatible with Sugar 0.94.

I've researched a simple process to merge translations into these legacy
versions (posted at the bottom of this email), but I will need help from
you getting them into ASLO, for I have not the privileges to do so.

Please let me know if you are willing to do this yourself, or would like
me to provide patches, create merge requests, ready-to-upload .xo
bundles, or grant privileges to release to ASLO for you.

Manuq for example has asked for merge requests for Browse so that he
will release Browse 129.1 with these translations.

I look forward to your response.

If I don't get a response in a week or so I will begin asking the Sugar
Labs infrastructure team to give me relevant privileges to release the
bundles myself.

Thanks in advance for your helpfulness in allowing the children of my
country to experience the benefits of software freedom, such as being
able to localize their software and in this simple way, give value to
their own cultures.

Best regards,
Sebastian
PS: Procedure as applied for Browse:
# To be done within a clone of git://git.sugarlabs.org/browse/mainline.git

# Get v129
git checkout v129

# Get updated translation from HEAD
git checkout origin/HEAD po/ayc.po

# Merge translations with proper template for this version
msgmerge po/ayc.po po/Browse.pot -o po/ayc.po

# Use your favourite text editor to bump version of activity/activity.info

# Add and commit
git add po/ayc.po
git commit -m "backport ayc translation"
git add activity/activity.info
git commit -m "bump v129.1"

# Tag new version
git tag v129.1

# Make bundle (I like this way, or use setup.py from within Sugar 0.94)
sweets dist_xo