[Sugar-devel] Private vs Public conversations.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Sat Oct 19 08:46:54 EDT 2013

For phase one this openness in communication, I would like to open the
discussion to strategies for working together. My interest is how to
deal with the notion of overlapping yet non-identical goals.

As a case study, let's look at deployment and developer preferences
for stability and innovation.

The roll out pipeline for a deployment can be long:
1. Core development.
2. Core validation..
3. Activity development.
4. Activity validation.
5. Update documentation.
6. Update training materials.
7. Pilot.
8. Roll-out.

This can take months, even years.

This directly conflicts with the rapid innovation cycle of development
used by effective up streams. Good projects constantly improve and
refine their speed of innovation.

Is is desirable, or even possible, to create a project where these two
overlapping yet non-identical needs can be balanced? As a concrete
example we could look at the pros and cons of a stable long term
support sugar release lead by quick, leading edge releases.

For full disclosure, I tried to start this same conversation several
years ago. I failed:
1. I did not have the credibility to be take seriously.
2. I did not have the political, social, and technical experience to
understand the nuances of engaging with the various parties in the
ecosystem.
3. I did not have the emotional control to assertively advocate ideas
without aggressively advocating opinions.

Has enough changed in the past several years to make it valuable to
revisit this conversation publicly?