[Sugar-devel] Using the DojoToolkit in a Sugar WebService ?

laurent bernabe laurent.bernabe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 18:21:50 EDT 2013

Hi, thanks for your answer.

2013/10/3 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>

> What do you want to archive?  I don't know Dojo, but acoording to
> their website there are independient modules that are AMD-ready, so
> you might be able to use them.  See our docs:
>

> http://developer.sugarlabs.org/activity.md.html#using%20other%20javascript%20libraries

I want to make a custom classes hierarchy, with encapsulation in mind (what
I am having troubles with in pure javascript), and inheritance.
Sorry, I did not know what AMD-ready means. So Dojo is AMD-ready, I think I
will go for it.

> > So, is using DojoToolkit safe inside a sugar web activity ?
> > Otherwise, I'll look for another javascript POO library. (Prototype.js is
> > not fine according to me : too similar to normal javascript).
>
> You want to archive object oriented programming? You can do it in
> straight JavaScript.  The Mozilla documentation is nice:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Introduction_to_Object-Oriented_JavaScript

Thanks, but according to me, using normal Javascript in order to build an
OO system is very painfull an ugly. (I come from a Java background).

> If you still feel very unconfortable with JS, you could try other
> languages that compile to JS.  See http://altjs.org/ .  Note that this
> adds some complexity and the compilation step.  Some that I have tried
> are CoffeScript (in Gears activity) and TypeScript.  And one I'm
> looking at lately with attention is ClojureScript.

No, sorry. I want to make sources reachables by anyone : and I don't sure
that a compilation (nor minification, even though we haven't talk about it)
deserves this purpose.

Regards