[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Changing mime type in journal details view.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 25 17:19:28 EST 2013

I'm fine with the change by Christofer.

While it is possible for a learner to change the mime type to
something that cannot be managed by an activity, the risk is low,
because detail view requires deliberate action to obtain, and the mime
type can always be changed back.

If the risk is found to be high, then a warning can be added, or an
entry at the top of the Gtk.ComboBox called "automatic" which uses the
mime.get_for_file method.

Going one step further, Sugar could store the original mime type and
offer that as "original".

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:16:21PM -0300, Martin Abente Lahaye wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Christofer Roibal, has submitted a patch [1] for changing the mime type of
> journal entries in the details view. This idea comes from a GCI task [2] which
> he has completed.
>
> What he did is replacing the Gtk.Label, that shows the mime type, for a
> Gtk.ComboBox. The combo is set to the corresponding option when the entry
> metadata contains a mime type, otherwise is set to a empty/blank option. The
> combo can be used to select another mime type for that entry.
>
> Please share your thoughts about this change, from the functional and design
> POVs. We need to decide whether we include it or not.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> Saludos,
> tch.
>
> Refs: