[Sugar-devel] Python modules (Re: Introducing SimpleActivity / Introduciendo SimpleActivity

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 25 00:13:06 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:28:35AM -0200, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     The modules are reasonably small:
>
>     - physics,
>     - olpcgames,
>     - sugargames,
>
>     And now simpleactivity.
>

> There are other modules copy pasted in a few activities:
>
> helpbutton
> fontcombo
> the tts code
> walter's sprites

Thanks.  My activity source knowledge is quite limited.

>     On balance it seems that the complexity of yet another maintenance
>     tool is high compared to just copying the files during activity
>     development.
>
>     Only an activity developer should need to use such a tool.
>
>     However, if an activity developer wants to use such a tool, they might
>     welcome a recommendation.
>
>     I recommend reducing the module git repo to only the files needed for
>     execution; no activity/ directory, no examples, and then adding the
>     module git repo as a remote for the activity git repo.  That way
>     changes to module could be pulled into the activity as needed.
>
>     Regarding the toolkit shipped with the OS going away, it may be
>     practical for an activity to include within itself the entire toolkit,
>     and thus be moderately independent of toolkit version changes.
>

> But sugar use the toolkit too, why should go away?

Requiring it to be present restricts activities to being started on a
system with a Sugar shell.

Embedding the toolkit in the activity may make an activity more
independent of Sugar shell version.

This is speculation without requirement.  Daniel may have more
reasons.

> Gonzalo
>

>     This brings with it a concern about an older toolkit version
>     communicating with the datastore and shell of a newer version.  ;-)
>     But if those APIs were versioned, all the better.
>
>     --
>     James Cameron
>     http://quozl.linux.org.au/

James Cameron