[Sugar-devel] TamTamMini

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Nov 18 07:52:39 EST 2013

El 17/11/13 12:58, Gonzalo Odiard escribió:
> I hope we can solve the performance problems then you don't need use a
> old Sugar version,
> to avoid all these problems.

Well, I don't think it's likely you or me will be able to fix this one.
It's lower level than Python
and it looks to be by design of the lower level libraries.

Note this mainly affects the XO1 which is already considered End Of
Life. I think efforts are
much more productive in trying to make the GNU+Sugar user experience
excellent on
Classmates and other netbooks.

BTW, we are not the only ones affected. The entire LXDE desktop
environment has decided
to forego migrating to GTK3 and instead decided to port everything to QT.

Here's a quote from the initial release of the QT file manager PCManFM [1]:
/"I, however, need to admit that working with Qt/C++ is much more
pleasant and productive than messing with C/GObject/GTK+.//
//Since GTK+ 3 breaks backward compatibility a lot and it becomes more
memory hungry and slower, I don't see much advantage of GTK+ now. GTK+ 2
is lighter, but it's no longer true for GTK+ 3. Ironically, fixing all
of the broken compatibility is even harder than porting to Qt in some
cases (PCManFM IMO is one of them).//
//So If someone is starting a whole new project and is thinking about
what GUI toolkit to use, personally I might recommend Qt if you're not
targeting Gnome 3.//"

[1] /http://blog.lxde.org/?p=990