[Sugar-devel] [UKids] ProtoSnap with Arduino plugin

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 17 18:16:37 EST 2013

> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 08:49:41 +1100
> From: quozl at laptop.org
> To: alanjas at gmail.com
> CC: unleashkids at googlegroups.com; sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
> Subject: Re: [UKids] ProtoSnap with Arduino plugin
>
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 06:52:26AM -0800, Alan Aguiar wrote:
> > I was seeing this wiki entry: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
> > ProtoSnap_Contributors_Guide
>
> I have contributed there.
>
> > And see that it uses Arduino plugin. I'm mantaining this plugin for
> > TurtleBlocks (AKA TurtleArt) and the version showed have a little
> > bugs (for example, the read analog and digital blocks not returns
> > the read value).
>
> Were these tickets in Sugar Labs bug tracker?  Or are you tracking
> changes using git only?  (Just curious, not criticising.)
There are not tickets for that. I only use git for track the changes.

> > With a friend, we update the PyFirmate in the plugin to latest 0.9.5.
> > Can you check on this GIT:
> > http://git.sugarlabs.org/arduino
>
> git://git.sugarlabs.org/arduino/mainline.git
>
> Thanks, reviewed.  I see the changes.
>
> The repository name "arduino" seems too short.  Perhaps this
> repository should be named turtleblocks-arduino?
Maybe: "arduino_plugin" ?

> The boards.py file added in db6e133 does not contain the Arduino Pro
> Mini used by the ProtoSnap.  Is that important?
I not sure, I must ask to my friend. But seems that the boards.py are notused in the PyFirmata.
> Ian Daniher's repository is a fork of your repository from 2013-06-18,
> hash ec0719f.  Ian's change in de87b83 looks cleaner than your change
> in 9655ec5 but both achieve a similar effect.  You may wish to take
> Ian's change instead.
It's the same fix.. but I like the Ian patch. It's more clean.
> > About installation: the process described is correct but have their
> > problems, for example: git is not installed by default on XO. And in
> > some places like Uruguay, you don't have root access to install
> > anything.
>
> Yes.
>
> The lack of git can be worked around using a ZIP download from github.
>
> https://github.com/itdaniher/turtleblocks-arduino/archive/de87b830207701eccc2503ff7c5ae4a931a73186.zip
>
> But still, can't install ino or make without root.  So this method is
> unavailable to Uruguay post-deployment.
>
> > Other option is use the option "Load plugin" of TurtleBlocks that
> > install automatically the plugin selected (only you need download a
> > .tar.gz into the Sugar Journal and press Load Plugin and it was
> > installed).
>
> No, that is insufficient, you still need to load the firmware into the
> Arduino.
Yes, but have Arduino plugin installed do all process a bit easy.
> > But that are a bit complicated... To solve that, we package the
> > Arduino plugin (and others like Lego NxT, Lego WeDo, etc)
> > with TurtleBlocks in a new activity called TurtleBots:
> > http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4434
> >
> > I'm not have a board to test, someone can test it???
>
> I've downloaded turtlebots-22.xo but there is no firmata firmware in
> it, so this does not achieve any of the more fundamental and important
> steps in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ProtoSnap_Contributors_Guide
>
> I suggest these steps can be done by pre-building the StandardFirmata
> sketch for various Arduino, and packaging both the binary output of
> these builds _and_ an activity local copy of avrdude for programming
> it into the Arduino board.
>
> .uy deployment may also add packages ino, git and make in next
> season's build.
Maybe we need do an activity for that.