[Sugar-devel] Proposing backup/restore as feature for 0.102

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Mon Nov 11 22:58:41 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> One of the features we want upstream is Backup/Restore of the Journal.
>
> There are already a page for this feature [1] but the currently only
> is implemented
> the backup/restore to a connected device (pen drive), and not to/from
> the school server.
>
> I did the port to Sugar 0.100 of the code in dextrose, (patches [2] and [3])
> but still think need more work before pushing upstream.
>
> Here my comments/questions:
>
> * Right now, the access to backup/restore functionality is available in the menu
> of the connected device (see [4]). May be should be in the Journal button,
> to allow other destinations in the future, like google drive/dropbox/etc?
> Or should be as a option in the control panel? (If the control panel is only
> for configuration this may be not the right place)
>
> * The screen look alien [5]. Should be better if we add a toolbar or
> should be in a modal dialog similar to the control panel/ object chooser?
>
> * We need a better icon.
>
> * The actual implementation have scripts to backup/restore from the
> command line.
> Then the sugar code execute the scripts, and the scripts execute tar. Is needed
> this indirection or should be better call tar from sugar?
>
> This implementation can be tested in our AU images [6]
>
> Comments?

Perfect. Cleaning up the Dextrose patches and included them in
mainline Sugar is an excellent way of adding value:
1. The patches represent feedback from deployments in the form of
issues they felt were important enough to pay to fix.
2. The patches are often limited in their scoop due to deployment
budget restraints.
3. After a clean up, they will be available to anyone using Sugar.

> Gonzalo
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Backup_and_Restore
>
> [2] https://github.com/godiard/au1b_rpms/blob/master/sugar/0001-Backup-and-Restore-to-a-mounted-device.patch
>
> [3] https://github.com/godiard/au1b_rpms/blob/master/sugar/0001-Fix-backup-restore-functionality-SL-4616.patch