[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs Roadmap. [SD 61;79]

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Sun Nov 10 17:50:11 EST 2013

>>- We should keep supporting existing deployments, this would duplicate the work completely.
>
> Post .094 Sugar can hardly run in 75% of its installed base (XO-1s), so we do not really support the majority of existing deployments.

I am pretty sure this can be solved. See the thread about performance
in activities.

> I can actually fully understand the reluctance of a FOSS project to move under Google (or any other company). But is a matter of policies and priorities really.
> On software politics I agree with you. The question is, does the 7 year run of OLPC/Sugar indicate that are also effective in the olpc goals?

In all this speculations I don't see _how_ SugarLabs should get the resources
to implement these ideas. How many people do you think is working right now?

These are statistics of commits in the last year:

sugar]$ git log --since="1 year ago"| grep "Signed-off-by" | awk
'{printf("%s %s\n", $2, $3)}' | sort  | uniq -c | sort -k1nr
     28 Manuel Quiñones
     23 Gonzalo Odiard
     12 Simon Schampijer
     10 Martin Abente
      7 Manuel Kaufmann
      3 Daniel Narvaez
      2 Agustin Zubiaga
      2 Walter Bender

sugar-toolkit-gtk3]$ git log --since="1 year ago"| grep
"Signed-off-by" | awk '{printf("%s %s\n", $2, $3)}' | sort  | uniq -c
| sort -k1nr
     22 Manuel Quiñones
     10 Simon Schampijer
      8 Gonzalo Odiard
      4 Manuel Kaufmann
      3 Carlos Garnacho
      2 Daniel Narvaez
      1 Martin Abente

Of course is not all the activities, but the core (what should be
ported to Android)
We had 7/8 developers contributing core, and 90% was done by half of this team.

Then, without having a way to fund a development team of 2 or 3
developers by at least one year,
is ridiculous make plans. Sorry, but the work will not be done by Harry Potter.

Gonzalo