[Sugar-devel] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 18:32:31 EST 2013

On 8 November 2013 23:20, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel - you mean the main download page [1], right? Not the VirtualBox
> page [2]?

Yep.

> These and other wiki pages are indeed long and complex. We could break
> those out into a dozen subpages to keep each one manageable. This problem
> was meant to be solved by the new website template designed to replace the
> static main site.
>
> I believe Bernie has a stat tool for pages including the static main site,
> i remember seeing a report where traffic was like a thousand times more
> than usual after one of our press releases in the past.
>
> Conversion rate will both improve and remain very marginal as we
> streamline the existing structure since we haven't had press coverage for
> some time. I'm all for measuring, the number can only go up.

Ok, I'll see if I can find the stats.

> However, without even measuring anything, there can be no doubt that every
> extra click will cost us downloads when we get press coverage rolling again.

I agree about that.

> The best way to do it is to propose a default pair of pancake buttons
> (SoaS/VM) based on the visitor's OS and language, and hide the complex
> lists under an "other systems and languages" link. Adobe (Flash, Reader)
> and OOo do it like this.

Gah, I guess the situation with the website will get in the way here, I'll
see if I can figure out something.

VirtualBox: I believe the installer autoconfigures itself for language
> (around 20 langs) after first screen in English, but we need to know if our
> VMs could autoconfigure for lang/keyb and if so, how much work that is, I
> imagine the alternative being a matrix of prebuilt machines by language
> (for sure that will be work). The learning curve and resources required is
> why I want to reach out to Oracle.
>
> For SoaS, I believe it has always been default US-en lang/keyb, we'd have
> to ask Peter if a reasonably simple solution for multiple languages is
> available - ideally, a language setup screen when first run.

A first run setup screen seems like a reasonable solution for both SoaS and
Virtualbox? It could go in the intro screen, reusing the control panel bits
we already have. Maybe not ideal for multi-user systems but...