[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign)

Thomas Gilliard satellitgo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:25:42 EST 2013

On 11/8/2013 8:49 AM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Do we really need a single installer? I mean I see it would be ideal
> but it feels like it might be tricky licensing, implementation and
> maintenance wise.
>
> From what I understand from Thomas, after installing VirtualBox, it's
> just downloading and clicking on an icon (I should really try it but
> I'm on a bad connection these days). It might not be perfect but
> it doesn't really sound bad, what is stopping us marketing Sugar this
> way really?
>
> On Friday, 8 November 2013, Sean DALY wrote:
>
>     Not only doable, has been done for some time now [1,2] and is
>     multi-platform (& what I use to demo Sugar on a Mac)
>
>     The Oracle PUEL license [3] very interestingly permits free
>     redistribution for educational purposes, opening the possibility
>     of a single installer, ideal for our needs.
>
>     In the past I have suggested approaching Oracle for a marketing
>     partnership under a CSR (corporate social responsibility) banner.
>
>     Sean
>
>     1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/VirtualBox
>     2. https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/VirtualBox
>     2. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

Here are some wiki pages and some older links from collaboration on
sugar with cyberorg (india) on #opensuse-edu on freenode IRC:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/OpenSUSE#OpenSuse-Sugar
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dramwang/images/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dramwang/images/iso/
To write a USB:
  download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dramwang/images/sugar.i686-0.3.0-Build7.5.raw.xz
Hosted Here: (used to have a sugar vmx hosted here' since removed)
        We should consider placing some of the VirtualBox exports on
sourceforge.net:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensuse-edu/

Recent e-mail:
Re: [opensuse-edu] Final spurt: openSUSE Education for 13.1

> ok: I hopefully brought most of the packages to the current/stable
> version (not 0.99x, but, hey: 0.98).
>
> But now I need to ask the maintainers about the final setup, the
> publishing (some packages have explicitely set "no publishing") and
> some special packages.
>
> For the first "problem", I guess someone just needs to go throught the
> packages and check their (publish/build) settings, so that we get a
> final release once everything built as expected.
>
> ...but I'm unsure about SDL (upgrade) and the olpcsound package
> (upgrate from 5.10 to 6.01). Any preferences? Any ideas?
>
> With kind regards,
> Lars (Vogdt)

Tom Gilliard