[Sugar-devel] Web activities + CoffeeScript

Rogelio Mita rogeliomita at activitycentral.com
Fri Nov 8 11:33:16 EST 2013

2013/11/8 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>

> Hi Rogelio,
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Rogelio Mita
> <rogeliomita at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> > Hi all!,
> >
> > working with web activities urges me to use CoffeeScript.
> > - Is there any decision taken on this?
> > - Do you discussed this topic in some occasion? or is irrelevant?
>
> It appeared a few times.
>
> In January when sugar-web didn't exist:
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2013-January/041616.html
>
> Then in August I wrote, after doing Gears activity:
>
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2013-August/044445.html
>
> "(GearSketch) It is written in coffeescript, and after playing for a bit, I
> can see it as a possible choice for activity developers.  Its syntax
> sugar makes the code look more like the gtk activities written in
> python."

+1

> "One of the reasons we went for plain js for sugar-web was because of
> the View Source feature.  Well, seems that since I researched a few
> months ago, Source Maps has improved a lot, and I can see coffee code
> in the web inspector. If the code breaks or if I add a breakpoint, for
> example.  Nice!  Also, GitHub does a nice job displaying only the
> coffee changes, and hidding the JS changes by default:"

Nice!, also, I was playing a bit:
- With the --map flag in coffee compiler I can use debbug function in
browser
- With a lib source-map-support.browser.js I can use error backtrace
function in browser

These points work in my chrome, but when using "enable sourcemap" on
osbuild did not work any of the above points.
What browser are using to web activities?

> So yes, it is a potable option for web activity developers.

+1, but really wanted to understand what the problem through which osbuild
not work.

> Now, in some real projects it happened to me that I started using
> Coffe or TypeScript and ended falling back to straight JS.  Think
> about A. the compilation step B. no way to try things in the inspector
> console C. need to translate code examples and known solutions from JS
> to Coffee
>
> --
> .. manuq ..

Thanks Manuel!