[Sugar-devel] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign) [Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 55]

satellit satellitgo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 06:57:26 EST 2013

On 11/08/2013 03:28 AM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> I don't think we should be suggestive of Sugar on a tablet until we
> have a minimally realistic idea of how to get it done. There is enough
> talk about this Sugar-on-Android which is not coming... :)
>
> Though you are right that the Cubox-i might send the wrong message. I
> was seeing it more like a vehicle for the software but, yeah, the
> hardware won't be ignored. It would a better way to demo to developers
> or possible hardware partners.
>
> Another idea. Sugar in a web browser. It would be the easiest to get
> running for the users and it's consistent with the current direction
> of development. Lots of work left to have enough activities for it to
> be a compelling experience... Maybe virtualized Sugar is the short
> term goal,* Sugar in a web browser is the long term one.

*Many of these are already available here:
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Sugar-in-Virtualization
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Virtual_machines

There are many distributions where sugar is supported:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Linux_distributions_where_Sugar_is_available

Tom Gilliard

  satellit on #sugar, #schoolserver, and #fedora-qa on freenode IRC