[Sugar-devel] Sugar tryout (was Re: sugarlabs.org redesign) [Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 55]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 05:50:24 EST 2013

>>  The larger problem is the absence of a marketing strategy, we need to know
>>  where we are going to communicate effectively. In particular, we need to
>>  choose and implement how to offer Sugar tryout to teachers and journalists.
>>

> I can think of a couple of approaches
>
> * Get Sugar running well on the CuBox-i. Find budget to buy a few of those
> to distribute to chosen journalist and teachers. Try to partner with
> SolidRun to offer Sugar as an out-of-the-box installation option.

Although the hardware specs are a good target for Sugar3, I believe that suggesting a really small box with 5 cables connected to it to showcase a K-9 educational platform, may retract from the feasibility and thoroughness of the project.
A decent rooted tablet (ie Nexus 7) running Sugar on top of Linux, even if the performance is not the best, would be much more catchy and maybe suggestive of a Sugar-on-Android to come.
You can still do the CuBox thing but not for journalists and teachers.

> * Make it easy to run Sugar inside VirtualBox on Windows and OS X. Without
> having investigated too deeply it seems that a two step process would be
> both realistically implementable and easy enough for the user
>
> 1 Install virtualbox
> 2 Install a Sugar application (which would take care of setting up the
> appliance).

This is certainly a good idea but it must work as advertised ie in 1 click after the VM software is installed.
I would only add Parallels-VM/VMware appliances since may already be present in these closed OSs and can really provide "a single click to Sugar".