[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Tech roadmap

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Nov 6 10:45:44 EST 2013

>> In the short term, we don't need backport Webkit2 to F18.
>
> Please elaborate :)
>
> I think developing web activities on two very different platforms (WebKit1
> and WebKit2) is a bad idea, it will involve more work (and pain) then doing
> some backporting.

Well, with a little patch in our F18 rpm, I have all the web
activities working ok in webkit1. A important missing feature is the
web inspector, but they work ok.

I was looking at compile the webkit rpm from F19 in F18, but had many
dependencies. I didn't explore other alternatives.

>> In the long term,
>> we need find a solution to move to a newer Fedora in the XOs, maybe 20 or
>> 21.
>

> Yes, ideally. I just don't see this happening in the short time and I'm
> worried it might not happen at all, given the kind of work that seems to be
> involved. It would be awesome to be proven wrong...
>
> Until that happens though I think we need to be able to get the latest sugar
> (and it's dependencies) on a XO.

Agreed, not easy, but needed in the long run. IN fact other of your proposals,
like use wayland will need it

Gonzalo