[Sugar-devel] Tech roadmap

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 09:49:06 EST 2013

Hello,

I think Sugar Labs needs to express a clear, realistic technology roadmap.
For example, we have been talking a lot about Sugar on Android, mixing a
lot of different things under that name. We need to clarify what that
really is.

Here are my thoughts, inspired by the oversight board meeting thread.

* Wait and see what happens with the XO. Support existing deployments by
producing images with the most recent Sugar release. Stick to a Fedora 18
base system, the work to upgrade is highly non trivial. Provide custom rpms
for the sugar modules and a few dependencies, most importantly Webkit,
which is required by web activities.
* Ensure web activities run well in web browsers. This will cover Android
and other non-Linux systems.
* Reuse the work done by OLPC on Fedora to get Sugar running nicely on one
or two ARM boards (Beagle board black and Cubox-i seems to be the best we
could pick at the moment). Talk to the manufacturers to get publicity on
the images we produce and devices for the developers.
* Work with deployments to see if there are "complete" hardware solutions
(Chromebooks for example) they could use. In the case of locked devices
they might have the where-with-all to load custom software.
* Migrate from X to  Wayland or support it in parallel (depending on the
performance of non accellerated Wayland). GNOME is doing most of the work,
but we will need the rework the window management bits. This will allow us
to run on Android drivers with libhybris, which should help with hardware
support.

As you might have noticed there is no Sugar on Android, other than for
drivers support and web activities running in a web browser. I don't think
going beyhond those gives us any real advantage.

Just my $0.02

--
Daniel Narvaez