[Sugar-devel] Have we achieved consensus among activite Sugar developers? [ Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 61, Issue 21]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 00:40:55 EST 2013

>> The big idea is that open sources projects thrive when they create
>> conditions and cultures where people with overlapping yet
>> non-identical goals can come together collaborate around a common
>> goal.
>> Sugar Labs has found itself in a position where there is a high
>> degree of conformity. This tends to create an echo chamber where similar
>> opinions are respected and encouraged. That can be effective at
>> building passion and energy, but it tends to crowd out dissenting
>> opinions and marginalize the people who hold those opinions. These
>> people can be the most productive members of the community in their
>> particular areas of interest.
> Of all the people who participated in this discussion,you are the only
> who is repeating this. Is possible this is only your personal point of view?

Sorry for intruding, but although the uniqueness of DF can not be excluded (:-),
if his "high conformity" claim is true it will give the same "lone participant"
result.
Looking at the archives of this list you can find several cases (some recent)
of "non-conforming" contributors that are not contributing anymore, supporting the
"high conformity" hypothesis.
As the current state of affairs indicates, previous "course decisions"
might have not been optimal. Of course things are always easier with hindsight
but still they indicate that it may worth being more perceptive to "lone
participants".

<snip>

> I think is clear SugarLabs do not  have the resources
I also think that is a good idea to refrain from the "limited resources"
as the "ultimate argument" when current priorities are different from the
proposed ones, because it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

PS: This mail was rejected as spam from the list server yesterday
(AI improvements  I guess ;) but I think is still relevant today.