[Sugar-devel] different perspectives

Lionel Laské lionel at olpc-france.org
Tue Nov 5 15:35:54 EST 2013

Great thread idea !
I must answer.

> 1) What brought you into the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

I've subscribed to the first G1G1. The laptop was terribly late and I've
planned it for my child's birthday so I bought another on eBay. Once I've
got the XO in my hand, I fall in love of it. So I've decided to build a
group of people to help this beautiful project. It was the start of OLPC
France...

> 2) What keeps you going in the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

There is 200 children in Madagascar which use each week XO from OLPC France.
I must help them do the best with this tool and give them all possible
opportunities.

> 3) What are the challenges you face in the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

OLPC never listen small deployments. It's complex just to buy laptops to
them !
SugarLabs guys are sometimes too technical and not enough marketing: never
even consider releasing a version 1.0 of Sugar in 5 years !
The XS is too complex to deploy and to use for non technical guys.

> 4) What would you change/do differently so OLPC and/or Sugar
> project(s) could do better?

Everything will be easier if OLPC consider to allow selling XO laptops in
any quantity.
OLPC should also have guys dedicated to exchange between deployments: every
deployment had to reinvent the wheel. An easier XS (in a good way with XS
CE) would be nice. Lower the barrier to entry for new technician interested
to contribute to SugarLabs.