[Sugar-devel] different perspectives

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 4 23:14:11 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 07:50:52PM -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
> 1) What brought you into the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

Jim Gettys.  An inspirational technical leader, who asked the open
source and Linux community for volunteers, in about May 2006.  At the
time, I was comfortably employed and needed something to do with my
spare time, and this looked like an interesting challenge, for a good
cause.

> 2) What keeps you going in the OLPC and/or Sugar project(s)?

I'm paid, the work is varied and interesting, and it is still a good
cause.

> 3) What are the challenges you face in the OLPC and/or Sugar
> project(s)?

Not hearing from deployments; no closed loop feedback.

Not hearing from children; no closed loop feedback.

Not knowing enough of the software stack and the Fedora development
process.

Having to solve technical problems in eternity rather than only for
the next release.  The merely good solution is too often the enemy of
the perfect solution.

> 4) What would you change/do differently so OLPC and/or Sugar
> project(s) could do better?

Look for or sponsor research into the literacy effects of touchscreen
vs keyboard user interfaces, and get the results into education systems.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/