[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2013-11-01

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 07:59:23 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:

>> Not exactly. But you can sketch the behavior of a Sugar Activity,
>> e.g., paint, fototoons, record, tamtam, et al. You still would need to
>> add the activity wrapper. It is more an experiment in moving from
>> block-bnsed programming to text-based programming.
>

> Is there such a wrapper? I want it!
> I don't see the point in reimplementing those, but I see value of lowering
> the barriers for contribution of new activities from our young users.

>> Long term, it would be great to be able to write all of Sugar in Turtle
>> Blocks.
>

> I don't see the point of that either.

My goal is not to replace Sugar (or Sugar activities) with Turtle
Blocks, but to use Turtle Blocks to make Sugar and Sugar activities
more transparent. I posit that once you have written a simple paint
program in Turtle Blocks, suddenly the underlying mechanics of the
Paint activity are more readily accessible. I don't see Turtle Blocks
as the authoring tool for activities as much as the tool for
understanding the basic mechanisms that underlay them.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender