[Sugar-devel] Renaming HTML ---> Web

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri May 31 10:19:06 EDT 2013

Hi,

we an informal discussion we agreed on calling the activities that are
"coded in a browser-supported programming language (such as JavaScript,
combined with a browser-rendered markup language like HTML) and reliant
on a common web browser to render the application executable [1]": Web
activities.

This is in line with the term used for web applications.

The following repositories have been deprecated and are only available
in Daniel's user space:

sugar-html-test
sugar-html-template
sugar-html-activity
sugar-html-bus
sugar-html-datastore

The latter three have been merged into: sugar-web

sugar-html-test is now called sugar-web-test and sugar-html-template has
been renamed to sugar-web-template.

The repositories sugar-build and sugar-toolkit-gtk3 have been changed
accordingly. Same as the documentation at [2].

If you update your sugar-build, the directories *html* won't be deleted
automatically, you will have to delete them by hand, sorry for the
inconvenience.

Writing a web activity has never been that easy, please follow the
instructions at [3]. In order for us to shape the web activity API in
this development cycle we encourage activity authors to start writing
web activities now. The API will still see changes, the environment will
see changes and yes there will be bumps here and there but you will
benefit from this 'at the edge' experience and help us to get to a great
result we all will enjoy in the end. Thanks in advance for your
participation.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application