[Sugar-devel] Error doing ./osbuild build

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue May 28 08:16:39 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 28 May 2013, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>
>> After doing a new clone, in F18 I get the following error:
>>
>> * Building gwebsockets
>>     dist = best[req.key] = env.best_match(req, self, installer)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 825, in
>> best_match
>>     return self.obtain(req, installer) # try and download/install
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 837, in
>> obtain
>>     return installer(requirement)
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 294,
>> in fetch_build_egg
>>     return cmd.easy_install(req)
>>   File
>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line
>> 592, in easy_install
>>     raise DistutilsError(msg)
>> distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Could not find suitable distribution for
>> Requirement.parse('zope.interface>=3.6.0')
>>

> Setuptools is doing an horrible job at reporting the error there, but I
> suspect this is a transient issue, does it work if you retry now? At least
> I've seen similar traces before that was just temporary network errors...

Grr..., now is working, then, probably temporary. Like you say, no clue
about the reason in the message.

>> Zope? really? :)
>>

> I think this is dragged in by autobahn, which is a websocket client we are
> using for gwebsockets tests. If you want to write a gwebsockets client to
> avoid the dependency feel free, I take patches :)

May be you can use: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/websocket-client/0.7.0
I have tested it and works ok.

> The last time I tried, sugar-build installed ruby.
>>

> It is required to build webkitgtk, not much we can do about that other
> than sending them patches to avoid the dep if possible at all.
>

>> I think we should be more careful about our dependencies, in fact, in the
>> past, adding dependencies was publicly discussed
>>

> It doesn't make much sense to discuss any single sub dependency dragged in
> by stuff we obviously need like webkit.
>
> The autobahn dependency in gwebsockets could have be discussed perhaps. As
> I said the alternative would be to write a gwebsockets client, but in my
> opinion it's not worth the effort just to avoid this build time dependency.
> Especially since we are not going to need a client outside the tests.
>
> I have the following proposals:
>> * Review the dependencies. Have more and more dependencies is a recipe to
>> a nightmare.
>>

> If we add new stuff, like a new toolkit based on a completely different
> software stack, and never remove old stuff, like gtk2 support, we are
> doomed to increase our dependencies. I don't think there is a way around
> that.
>
> Of course I agree that we should be careful. But sometimes it's better to
> depend on something than to write your own code which you then need to
> maintain. I think that's the case for the autobahn dependency in
> gwebsockets for example.
>

>> * Split the compilation, one part to compile sugar and another to compile
>> sugar-web,
>> sugar-web is more unstable, and have a lot of issues.
>>

> This would add more maintenance, buildbot etc work that I personally don't
> have time to do. I welcome anyone to jump in and maintain a
> sugar-without-html build if it is considered necessary.
>
> IMO we decided that HTML activities was the main goal for the release and
> it would good if it was more of a collective effort, including testing and
> fixing the build. Right now is mostly just me and Manuel... Most other
> people seems to be annoyed by the build issues rather than trying to
> participate. If we wanted to have only a small part of the team work on it
> and the rest not being bothered by the changes, it would have been better
> to work on a branch until stuff was more stable.

It's true only you and manuq are working in the core, but there are
different roles in the community,
and always are more people working on activities than in sugar itself.
I think we thought the web stuff will be a thin layer and not add a monster
like webkit
to the stuff we need compile.

Don't take this as a attack. I value the work you do. But you need
understand sugar-build now is a
central piece in our stack, and we need use it in different ways.

Gonzalo