[Sugar-devel] Managing github forks

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Tue May 28 00:34:41 EDT 2013

Hey William,

2013/5/28 Will Orr <will at worrbase.com>:
> Hello,
>
> When doing work on my feature branch, usually I do a git pull --rebase origin master to update, that way my patches will cleanly apply to the master branch of the project when I file my pull request. I avoid merge commits this way as well.
>
> The downside is that I might be messing with the history of my feature branch, which might even be public.
>
> William Orr

What I do to keep my forked repo updated is:

1. add a remote to the main repository, call it "upstream"
2. keep in sync with it, fetching and merging often

it is explained in our docs:

http://developer.sugarlabs.org/contributing.md.html#forking
http://developer.sugarlabs.org/contributing.md.html#keep%20your%20fork%20up%20to%20date

--