[Sugar-devel] Error doing ./osbuild build

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Mon May 27 23:09:00 EDT 2013

After doing a new clone, in F18 I get the following error:

* Building gwebsockets
    dist = best[req.key] = env.best_match(req, self, installer)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 825, in
best_match
    return self.obtain(req, installer) # try and download/install
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 837, in
obtain
    return installer(requirement)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 294, in
fetch_build_egg
    return cmd.easy_install(req)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line
592, in easy_install
    raise DistutilsError(msg)
distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('zope.interface>=3.6.0')

Zope? really? :)
The last time I tried, sugar-build installed ruby.
I think we should be more careful about our dependencies, in fact, in the
past, adding dependencies was publicly discussed

I have the following proposals:
* Review the dependencies. Have more and more dependencies is a recipe to a
nightmare.
* Split the compilation, one part to compile sugar and another to compile
sugar-web,
sugar-web is more unstable, and have a lot of issues.
* The buildbot should compile all, doing a clean clone.
* If possible, the changes should be tested before are commited to git.

Comments? Ideas?

Gonzalo