[Sugar-devel] Diverged git history

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed May 22 12:34:29 EDT 2013

Hello,

when mirroring repositories to github we missed that pootle would keep
committing on gitorious and make the history diverge.

That has now happened for two repositories

sugar
sugar-toolkit-gtk3

I think we need to decide if we want to move to github or not.

If we don't move it's easy and clean

1 Merge back master changes for the two diverged repositories to gitorious.
2 Mirror the new github repositories to gitorious, sync the non-diverged
ones.
3 Kill the github repositories.

If we move

1 Turn off pootle
2 Merge back master changes for the two repositories to gitorious.
3 push --mirror the two repositories to github again. This will rewrite
history, so people will have to make a clean clone.
4 Turn on pootle again on github.

The alternative would be to keep two repositories with a diverged history
around, which feels really bad. It's not good to break the github history
but it was an experiment after all.