[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] Sugar 0.100 or 1.0

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue May 21 17:32:00 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2013 12:19, Bastien <bzg at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I feel that 0.100 is even more unmarketable than 0.98.
>>
>> Agreed.  Mathematically, it reads like a regression.  Instead of
>> reaching some definite level of maturity, it gives the signal that
>> Sugar is in its early alpha (which is clearly wrong IMHO.)
>

> The problem is that Sean is also saying a 1.0 would be hard to market
> (without html activities, which I don't think are going to be solid at the
> first iteration).

Speaking of "activities" in the Sugar sense, I was wondering how many
of the HTML5 apps from FirefoxOS would slide over to our platform with
little change. I just got my hands on a Geeksphone Peak
(http://www.geeksphone.com/) and have been following up on how Mozilla
does FirefoxOS apps. (As an aside, their apps live on Github, both as
code and as zip files, and hosted through
https://marketplace.firefox.com/ which looks similar on the phone as
it does on a laptop). If some of the FirefoxOS apps can become Sugar
HTML5 activities, we may be able to ramp up on the number of
activities relatively soon. Wishful thinking, and all that...

cheers,
Sameer