[Sugar-devel] [sugar-build] Is webkitgtk becoming a barrier?

lionel at olpc-france.org lionel at olpc-france.org
Mon May 20 04:32:10 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just to give my feeling about this point. Because my PC is under Windows for
professional reasons, I'm using sugar-build from a VirtualBox VM.
I've recently recreated my sugar-build VM. I choose an Ubuntu 13.04 VM
because no Fedora 18 pre-installed VM is available from now and I have no
time to re installed it from scratch.
In a VM, webkitgtk take more than 3 hours to build, so I must let my
computer powered and wait for the end of the task. It's a long time BTW it's
a one-time only operation. So it doesn't mind.

I think that allowing developers to easily contribute is very important.
Thanks to the current process, it's pretty easy to start your contribution
to Sugar:
- Download a pre-installed Ubuntu 13.04 (this one [1] for example),
- Install GIT using "sudo apt-get install git"
- Follow instructions here: [2]
You're now a new Sugar contributor!
So I'm not favorable to force the use of Fedora 19 that put complexity in
the current process.

Just my two cents.

	Lionel.

[1]
http://184.173.199.227/~jimslice/VMs/Ubuntu/13.04/VirtualBox_-_Ubuntu-13.04-
i386-Desktop-RELEASE-%5BVirtualBoxImages.com%5D.rar
[2] http://sugarlabs.org/~buildbot/docs/build.html

Message: 7