[Sugar-devel] Requiring test coverage for new code

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun May 19 19:03:53 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 02:36:13PM -0300, Manuel Quiñones wrote:
> [...]
> I would also like to express my view on contributions.  We should
> not block any valuable contribution.
>
> Suppose that a child finds a bug, then modifies a file in the XO and
> then sends the modified file to us in a email with a brief
> description.  Very welcome! I would say.
>
> For this kind of occasional contributions, we (regular contributors)
> should take over and do the procedure by ourselves, and also add the
> testing.

+1

Include in your definition of "child" any developer who has the time
to discover and fix the root of the problem but not the time to do
learn git, avoid injecting unwanted changes, make a patch, mail it,
register for github, make a pull request, follow up on lack of action
on pull request, translate review comments into their own language,
overcome the disheartening, rebase the patch, fight with git again,
succeed in a pull request, get a late review about pep8 failure,
repeat the whole process, then go back and add tests, raise a ticket
because the release engineer wants one for tracking reasons, ... only
to find the next release doesn't have the fix.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/