[Sugar-devel] Requiring test coverage for new code

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Sat May 18 13:36:13 EDT 2013

2013/5/18 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> On 17 May 2013 15:13, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Simon, Manuel,
>>
>> any feedback about this? I see a few possible levels
>>
>> 1 Everything, bugfixes included
>> 2 Every feature patch
>> 3 Every patch to the new html/javascript code
>> 4 Nothing, leave it to the contributor willingness
>

> Summarizing the positions expressed in the thread
>
> Simon would like 1.
> Marco would do 2 and then consider if we can move to 1.
> Manuel would like 2.
> Walter would be happy with 2, as long as there is guidance.
> Gonzalo and James doesn't seem happy about requiring tests at all.
>
> I suppose Simon and Manuel needs to talk and make a decision. These are the
> times when it's nice to have maintainers and not be one :P

I have expressed my opinion favouring testing, so 2 or 1 would be fine for me.

I would also like to express my view on contributions.  We should not
block any valuable contribution.

Suppose that a child finds a bug, then modifies a file in the XO and
then sends the modified file to us in a email with a brief
description.  Very welcome! I would say.

For this kind of occasional contributions, we (regular contributors)
should take over and do the procedure by ourselves, and also add the
testing.

Also as Walter pointed, indeed we need to provide guidance to the
contributors.  And the review process is good for that.

--
.. manuq ..