[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Journal share activity

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri May 3 10:24:13 EDT 2013

On 05/03/2013 03:54 PM, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>> I think there are two fundamental differences:
>>
>> - one-to-many: you share an item publically to all of the members of the
>> session, the ones that are available should be visible in one list, in the
>> mockup at the top left, everyone can download any of those items, the
>> download will go into the device you specify, there should probably be an
>> indicator if you want to store an already downloaded item into the same
>> place (like with any generic download)
>>
>> - one-to-one-outgoing: you send one item to a specific person, here you
>> need some feedback if the receiver acknowledged the incoming transfer
>>
>> - one-to-one-incoming: you receive a file sent by one specific person,
>> here you need an alert for the request, that you can acknowledge
>>
>> I do not see any duplicates here. You can argue that the one-to-one
>> transfers should be in one list with clear indicators what is an incoming
>> and what is an outgoing transfer, that could work
>>

> I think this is a tool to one-to-many principally (with the particular case
> of many-to-one defined as(b)). I am confident than in a constructivist
> environment, the request of privacy of kid-to-teacher should no be the most
> common case, because all can learn from other kids too.

I don't think constructivism [1] says anything about one-to-one
connections being an invalid tool to deliver the pedagogical message.

In any case, just because Sugar is a great environment to teach
constructivist concepts with, it does not mean we should limit it to
that. I believe in diversity, as well for teaching methods.

> We already have a one-to-one tool in the Journal.

Good point. We actually came across this as well. For the "teacher
collects an assignment" case the file transfer in the Journal does not
work that well, because a teacher does need to acknowledge all the
incoming transfers and they do not stock nicely in the frame if you
consider 30 coming in.

Actually, we talked about how to put all the incoming ones into one
Palette some time back with Gary, that could still be done. However, it
still might make sense to support that use case in the Journal share
activity, to have it all in one place.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_%28learning_theory%29