[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] multiple home views

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:21:20 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> 2013/5/2 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Yeah. I think either of these proposals are possible solutions, but at a
> >> cost:
> >> (1) something more for teachers to learn (they already know how to use
> the
> >> homeview)
> >> (2) something more to maintain
> >> (3) something more to design/code
> >> (4) not clear they actually lessen complexity
> >>

> > And another thing :)
> >
> > I am not convinced that searching by curriculum topic, e.g.,g searching
> for
> > "math" is in line with how we want to encourage Sugar to be used in the
> > classroom. A project-based approach is about tools, not curriculum. So,
> for
> > example, if I wanted the kids to make a Fototoon, I'd want Fototoon,
> Record,
> > Paint, Browse, Write, et al. on the desktop. Collections based on
> projects,
> > not curricula, is what we should be promoting.
>
> Yes, couldn't agree more.  That's why I was a bit concerned on IRC
> when you talked about one home view per lesson.
>
> --
> .. manuq ..

I guess we are talking past each other here. I wasn't intending that we
implement one homeview per lesson but rather the teacher *may* choose to
change the homeview per lesson (as per my Fototoon example above). I think
that 2 home views: one for the classroom (fromal) and one for the kid
(informal) covers most of what we'd need practically. But I could imagine
building an extensible solution -- easy enough under the hood, but I fear
that it may complicate things too much for the user. In terms of the
implementation details, let's discuss that after we agree on the design.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender