[Sugar-devel] Github review workflow

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 19:50:03 EDT 2013

Hi,

I started experimenting a bit with github code reviews, with Walter as
ginuea pig :) We wasn't too sure about stuff like rebasing, using
separate branches etc, so tonight I played a bit myself with creating
pull requests.

Something like the following might be a decent start for a workflow

1 Create one branch per topic

git checkout -b topic1

2 Make one or more commits
3 Push the branch

git push origin topic1

4 Submit a pull request for the branch (web UI)

5a The reviewer merges the patch.
5b The reviewer rejects the patch (and closes the request).
5c The reviewer requires changes (and closes the request).

If 5c:

6 Make changes using interactive rebase
(http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Rewriting-History#Changing-Multiple-Commit-Messages)

git rebase -i master

7 Push the changes to another remote branch

git push origin topic1:topic1-try2

8 Submit the new pull request (web UI)

If someone has experience with github suggestions would be welcome.
Otherwise I hope Walter will keep being the ginuea pig in this
experiment  :)

--
Daniel Narvaez