[Sugar-devel] Patches -- Process and Culture

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Thu Mar 28 14:18:09 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> want to start on that kind of analysis? :)

James' self analysis is spot on.

We all wear several 'hats' Sugar contributor, Employee or volunteer,
person, ..... These hats bring bias which affect our decision making.

To use myself as an example: I am squeezed between money and power.
Activity Central provides technical service and support for
deployments. Deployments pay us to meet very specific needs for them.

Money -- Deployment pay us _only_what they think a fix or issues is
worth to them. We, in turn, can only pay one of our developers what
the deployment thinks their work is worth.

Power -- Deployments tell us _exactly_ what they want us to do and how
much time they are willing to pay us to do it.

The business model meets a need which adds value to the ecosystem.
However it does introduce conflicts. In the context of this discussion
a key conflict is cost and value of up-streaming deployment specific
'fixes'.

Dave

--
David Farning