[Sugar-devel] github (was Re: Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 07:19:19 EDT 2013

On 28 March 2013 10:52, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> I read a bit about the differences. For a purist the 'is not using free
> software on their server' springs to mind. But maybe let's focus on the work
> flow first.

Though are there any relevant web apps which are free software? And
despite that we are all using them...

> The merge requests on gitorious I never used. Maybe because I was too
> focused on the bug tracker or patch on email work flow. It does make sense
> to have a pull workflow for bigger changes that are linked to each other,
> for example a port-shell-to-gtk3 project.
>
> I should check if I can get used to that as a general work flow model. Maybe
> I check with the ayopa project to get a feeling for it.

Yeah, I was proposing to give it a try to see if it works well in general.

Btw I tend to think if we splitted patches a lot more then we are
currently doing reviews would be easier, though that might be personal
taste. With multiple patches as you say, the pull workflow should work
better than the others.

Anyway  I think a github workflow would cover three important things
we care about

* Patches are visible to anyone.
* Patches are trackable.
* Integration with issues tracking.

Of course it migth introduce other problems :)