[Sugar-devel] github (was Re: Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:03:41 EDT 2013

On 27 March 2013 16:23, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
> I know all this can be replaced by a fork & pull workflow, and I'm
> used to do that in github.  But gitorius interface is not as good as
> github, in my opinion.  By the way, if we have consensus for a fork &
> pull workflow, I have no problem switching.

There was actually some discussion in irc today about using github.
Reposting here for people that are not following irc.

It might not be a bad idea to give a try to a github based workflow
with 0.100. (git is flexible enough that giving it a try should not
have a big cost, you can easily go back to gitorious at any time).

17:26 < cjb> honestly just moving to github is probably not a bad idea IMO
17:26 < dnarvaez> I like the bug tracking stuff in github
17:26 < cjb> you'd get pull requests you can track, link between issues and
             commits, it's a more standard and approachable place for
             collaboration to happen, and they have export functions for
             getting your data back out
17:27 < dnarvaez> for review I wonder if pull requests would work
17:27 < cjb> sure, it's what everyone else does
17:28 < dnarvaez> I suppose the infra team would be glad to have few services
                  less to support :)
17:30 < cjb> it made sense to run our own git when github was new and we were
             opposed to everyone standardizing on a centralized (and non-free
             software) web location for git repositories
17:30 < cjb> but github is huge now, and we're just losing contributors by
             refusing to take part, IMO
17:30 < dnarvaez> yeah pretty much everyone is one github these days