[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Tue Mar 26 13:57:22 EDT 2013

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I can give my two cents
(disclaimer: I'm sorry if I misunderstood facts or misquoted people):

With dextrose, we had the same bottleneck problem, of patches getting
stuck in the review queue, then the commit queue. One associated
problem is that the longer a patch lingers on, the more it loses
contextual value and the harder it is to remember/understand for
everyone what the patch was for or what it did (even with good commit
messages). What would happen many times is that once the patch finally
reaches the maintainer, he has to make an effort to recall the
relevance of the patch and spend time in reviewing it again.

Gonzalo also raises pertinent points:
* We don't have enough reviewers
* We don't have enough maintainers

In dextrose, addressed this problem this way:
* There was one release manager
* There were multiple people with the access and the authority to commit patches
* There were dedicated testers

* There were foul-ups initially, but this increased the pace of
development by at least 2x.

What could this mean in context of sugar/mainline:
* Have one or two maintainers. Simon and Manuq are excellent. They are
responsible for setting roadmaps, deadlines, and making releases.
* Have multiple people with commit access authority. Daniel and
Gonzalo perhaps? I don't know who else.
* The criteria for committing could be as simple as:
** The patch has been reviewed by atleast one person from this group
** The patch has been *tested* by atleast one person from this group

Normally, one wouldn't recommend this as it increases the chance of
breakage, but I guess we're at the other end of the spectrum. If
development pace needs to be ramped up, I'd recommend the above.

Cheers,
Anish