[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:13:17 EDT 2013

On 26 March 2013 10:53, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> That is bad of course. Could have been several reasons. Maybe the decoupling
> of patches and the bug tracker, maybe just felt of the table... Sometimes a
> ping is valid option. But yes, the easiest area to solve.

I did try to ping a couple of times on that specific patch. The thing
is that if you see maintainers are busy with a ton of stuff you just
don't dare pinging too hard and at some point you give up... (Just
trying to give a contributor perspective here).

>>> [feature] When it gets to Features things get more tricky. For a Feature
>>> first of all the high level goals are important: what need does the
>>> Feature
>>> address, is it wanted by the community, is the technical approach taken a
>>> good one, basically the maintainer has to decide if it is worth taking on
>>> maintainership of this feature or not. In the end it might be him who has
>>> deal with arising bug fixes and who is blamed if the software is not a
>>> solid
>>> product.
>>

>> While I agree with you in general, I think maybe we are exagerating a
>> bit the responsibility of the maintainers a bit. I tend to think it's
>> the whole community which will get the blame if things goes wrong...
>> Maintainers have of course a very important role, but they should not
>> feel like they alone into this.
>

> From my experience the work on a feature and the polish of it gets often
> underestimated. The first 90% are done in 10% of the time the last 10% are
> done in 90% of the time. I would like to establish a sense of the work
> needed to finish a feature, not to make people afraid of starting to work on
> features but to be realistic.

That's my experience too. But are you saying the hardest 10% is in the
hands of maintainers? That happens in my experience, but it doesn't
have to, or at least not most of the time.